Damp and condensation
Damp and Condensation
Find out more about the causes and ways of preventing damp and condensation.
There are many causes of damp and condensation in your home. It is important to find out how and why problems are happening so you can tackle the problem and stop it happening again.
We have many queries about dampness which is to do with condensation. Condensation happens when moist air touches a cold surface and leaves water on it.
Every home will have some condensation, especially during the cold weather, and when there is a lot of moisture and steam in the air, for example; when a bath or shower is in use or during cooking.
What can I do to help?
Here are some tips to reduce condensation and mould:
- Do not block vents or extractor fans
- If possible, dry your clothes outside
- Keep your property reasonably warm
- Keep large furniture away from outside walls
- Keep some of your windows open - during the winter only keep them open slightly until the mist has cleared
- When having a bath or shower, or cooking or washing, keep bathroom and kitchen doors closed
- Do not use paraffin or propane heaters
More information on damp and condensation can be found by clicking the link below.