Are you worried about money?


Money issues can affect anyone, whether you’re in employment or receiving benefits. If you're having difficulties, we’re here to help.

If you’re having difficulty paying your rent or your circumstances change, please get in touch with us as soon as possible, as we can help.

If you can’t find the information you’re looking for in the links below, or need further assistance, please talk to your Housing Officer who can help you get the support you need.

  • How can we help?

    Your housing officer can provide guidance to help you reduce your debts and manage your money.

    They can also make sure that you get in touch with the right people to help you.

    They can refer you to free support services that can give you individual, specialised support.
    It's important to get any money and debt issues under control as soon as possible, if you’d like to speak to us accessing support, please get in touch.

  • Free support services

    There are also lots of free services available online and in your community.

    You’ll find lots of links below to a range of support agencies, tools and information to help you manage your money and make sure you’re receiving all the benefits you’re entitled to.

Support services in Northamptonshire

  • Household Support Funds

    The Government have provided North and West Northamptonshire Councils with a new one-off funding, called the Household Support Fund.

    The Household Support Fund is available to provide short-term financial support to meet immediate needs and help those who are struggling to afford the essentials this winter.

    How to apply for the fund:

    • The fund is available until 31 March 2022.
    • Each council has their own fund and eligibility criteria.
    • You will need to provide evidence of hardship with your application form.
    • Citizens Advice may be able to help you with your application (see Citizens Advice section below).
    • You can find out more and apply on their websites:

    North Northamptonshire

    West Northamptonshire

  • Citizens Advice - local, free and impartial advice

    Citizens Advice provide free, independent and impartial advice to help you find a way forward, whatever the problem.

    This includes advice and information on:

    • Benefits
    • Debt and money
    • Housing
    • Health
    • Consumer rights
    • Family rights
    • Legal support

    Their network of charities offers confidential advice online, over the phone, and in person, for free.

    For local support, take a look on their website for your area:



    Central and East Northamptonshire, incl. Wellingborough 

    • They also have a national phone AdviceLine: 0800 144 8848 (you'll be put through to a local adviser if one is free)
    • And a dedicated debt helpline: 0800 240 4420
    • Both helplines are available 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday

National support

Support with housing and energy bills

  • £150 Council tax rebate

    If your home is in Council Tax band A, B, C or D, you should be entitled to £150 rebate (payment)

    Is your home in Council Tax band A, B, C or D?

    • Yes
      Great. You should be entitled to the £150 rebate (payment). This is a one-off payment, which you will NOT need to pay back.
    • No 
      Sorry, if you're not band A, B, C or D you won't be eligible for the rebate.

    Are you paying by direct debit?

    • Yes
      Even better. You'll automatically get the rebate into your bank account. You don't need to do anything.
    • No 
      To get the payment as quickly and easily as possible, there's still time to sign up to pay by direct debit. Do this as soon as you can before 31st March 2022.
      Don't worry you'll still get the rebate, but it may take a bit longer and you will need to contact your local authority to find out what their process is.

    Set up a direct debit for your council tax:

    Head over to your local authority to find out more:

    North Northamptonshire Council - Council Tax rebate

    North Northamptonshire Council - set up direct debit

    West Northamptonshire Council - Council Tax rebate

    West Northamptonshire Council - set up direct debit

  • Energy benefits and discounts

    There are lots of national and local benefits and grants available to help you manage your energy costs.

    Find out more about what you may be entitled to.

  • Discretionary Housing Payments (DHPs)

    Discretionary Housing Payments (DHPs) provide financial support to help with rent or housing costs.

    They are issued through your local council and each council decides how their application process will work (see links to each Council's relevant webpage below).

    They are a top-up to Housing Benefit or the Housing Element within your Universal Credit award, and are available if the Council considers that someone needs extra help with their housing costs.

    DHPs are only available as short-term assistance, not a long-term solution. They are discretionary awards and do not form part of your benefit entitlement. Please be aware the council's have a limited fund for these payments, and they are often only paid in exceptional circumstances.

    Could you be eligible?

    You may be able to apply for a DHP if you currently claim either:

    • Housing Benefit, or
    • the housing element of Universal Credit
    • AND need more financial support with housing costs.

    You may get a DHP to cover housing costs for:

    • a rent shortfall
    • rent deposits
    • rent in advance if you need to move home

    DHPs cannot cover council tax, even if you get Local Council Tax Support, however see the section below 'Council tax reduction' for support.

    How to apply

    You'll need to apply through your local council:

    North Northamptonshire - Discretionary Housing Payments

    West Northamptonshire - Discretionary Housing Payments

    Help with application forms

    If you need any help completing application forms, please get in touch with your housing officer who will be able to support you on 0300 1234 009 or at

  • Council tax support

    If you’re on a low income or claiming benefits, you could be eligible for a reduction or other support paying your council tax bill.

    Council Tax Reduction

    Council Tax Reduction (West Northants Council) or Council Tax Support (North Northants Council) is financial help towards paying council tax. You can claim this if you're already claiming other benefits such as Job Seekers Allowance, Income Support or Universal Credit. You may also claim it if you are working but on low income.

    Find out more about who is eligible and how to apply on their websites:

    North Northants Council Tax Support

    West Northants Council Tax Reduction

    Council Tax Hardship Fund - West Northamptonshire

    West Northamptonshire have created a hardship fund to support residents in exceptional situations with payment of their council tax (they are not payments of council tax reduction). Find out more on their website:

    West Northants - Council Tax Hardship Fund

    Help with application forms

    If you need any help completing application forms, please get in touch with your housing officer who will be able to support you on 0300 1234 009 or at

  • Universal credit and other benefits

Online debt and money management tools

Financial support for older people

  • Age UK

    Age UK offer information and advice through a free, confidential national phone service for older people, their families, friends, carers and professionals.

    They can help with:

    • benefits
    • retirement
    • wellbeing
    • money issues.

    Find out more on the Age UK website or call on 0800 678 1602

You may also find the following pages helpful:

If you have any questions, please contact us on 0300 1234 009 and ask to speak to a member of the housing management team.