Shared ownership is an affordable way of getting on the property ladder. You buy a share, usually with a mortgage, and pay a reduced rent on the rest.
It helps you to buy a home, if you can't afford a large deposit and mortgage payments, for a home that meets YOUR needs.
You can see homes we currently have available for shared ownership - both resales and new builds at the bottom of this page.
What is shared ownership?
- What is shared ownership?
Shared ownership gives first time buyers, and those that do not currently own a home, the opportunity to purchase a share in a new build or resales property.
You would pay a mortgage on the share you own, and pay a subsidised rent on the remaining share to a housing association (like us).
Although the housing association owns part of it — it's your home. You will own a share of the property on a leasehold basis and have the same rights and responsibilities of a full homeowner.
Because you'd only need a mortgage for the share you're purchasing, the amount of money required for a deposit is usually a lot lower than the amount required when purchasing a home outright.
- There are lots of benefits to buying a shared ownership home
- Helps you get on the property ladder.
- The rent is less than the rate charged on the open market.
- You can start with a little as 25% share in many cases.
- Your deposit will be 5-10% of the price of the share, not of the full market value of the whole property.
- Stamp Duty Land Tax (SDLT or simply ‘stamp duty’) can generally be deferred until your share reaches 80%
- Rural shared ownership homes
Due to planning conditions in rural areas, most of our shared owners are restricted to 80% ownership. This restriction enables us to keep our properties as affordable homes and ensure they benefit local people.
For most of our homes, purchasers will need to have a local connection to the village.
How do I get started to purchase a shared owner home?
- Register with a Help to Buy agent
If you’re interested in buying a shared ownership home, either a new build or a resale, you must register with a Help to Buy agent.
For this area the agent is Help to Buy Midlands and London.
On their Help to Buy website you can:
- find out much more about shared ownership, the benefits and process
- check about eligibility
- complete an online application form
Shared owner homes currently for sale or in development
- Resale - shared ownership homes in Northamptonshire
Shared ownership homes currently for sale in Northamptonshire
- New build - shared ownership homes in Northamptonshire
New shared owner homes currently in development in Northamptonshire:
Further information and keeping up-to-date
- Further information
To find out more about living in a Northamptonshire Rural Housing shared ownership home, please take a look at our shared owners online handbook.
This includes information on:
- Responsibilities as a shared owner
- Buying more shares and selling
- Rent and service charges
Register your interest
If you'd like to be notified if any shared ownership homes become available in the village you're interested in, please complete the register of interest form (below).
If you'd like more information
If you'd like to find out more, please get in touch with Mark Boon at Warwickshire Rural Housing on 0300 1234 009 or at email@example.com
Follow us on Facebook - we advertise resales and new builds on our page